View Single Post
Old November 7, 2011, 12:30 AM   #20
TXGunNut

When I started reloading 30 yrs ago it was for reasons of economy as well as quality. In those days factory high performance rifle and pistol ammo was mostly found in the realm of the handloader. We all know how the economy angle worked out. It was a year before I could load rifle ammo that was more accurate than RP factory ammo (my rifle really liked that stuff) but I could use premium bullets not found in factory ammo at the time.
Nowadays my ammo generally outperforms factory ammo (after a fashion) but I load premium components tailored to my rifle; factory works fairly well in almost any rifle. If I didn't load for oddball chamberings I'd be hard-pressed to justify loading for reasons other than enjoyment. I'd be willing to wager a stack of reloading dies to a Krispy Kreme donut that I could easily find a factory load on the shelf of a well-stocked gunshop that performs well within minute-of-whitetail in my .30-06, .30-30, .35 Remington or .45-70. Throw in a 45-90 and an affinity for hard-hitting cast boolits and suddenly factory loads don't make much sense.
Reloading isn't for everyone but it keeps me (relatively) sane, entertained and broke. What more could you ask for?
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.

Page generated in 0.02896 seconds with 8 queries