View Single Post
Old April 10, 2013, 11:50 PM   #1
BusterValentine

First .38 Super Loads Results

Some of you may recall me asking about loading .38 Super a week or two back. I went to the range today to test some different loads I cooked up and I thought I would share the results.

My test consisted of 60 rounds, all 115 grain .355 full metal jacket and once fired (I assume) brass. 30 were loaded with blue dot, starting with 10.0 grains. 5 10.0, 5 10.1, 5 10.2 . . . up to 10.5 grains. The other 30 were loaded with red dot. Starting with 4.0 grains. Same deal, 5 4.0, 5 4.1. . . up to 4.5

All tests were conducted standing, two handed, no rest of any kind. The target was at 20 feet. The test gun was a Taurus PT1911AR 5" It's a big, heavy gun, please keep that in mind.

Those loaded with red dot had very little recoil, quite a bit less than a standard 115gr 9mm load out of my M&P9 4.25" but not quite .22lr soft. The 4.0 and 4.1 loads functioned perfectly but dropped noticeably at 20 feet. 4.2 a little less drop, 4.3 seems to be ideal with no noticeable gain in accuracy for 4.4 or 4.5

Those loaded with blue dot went off like a flippin' cannon compared to the red dot. Very loud, a lot more recoil and a huge muzzle flash. The recoil was by no means unmanageable but was quite surprising, especially out of such a heavy gun. The 10.0 and 10.1 had decent accuracy but by the time I got to 10.4 they were noticeably spreading out. for this powder, 10.1 or 10.2 seem to be ideal. They were also quite a bit of fun.

None of these loads failed to feed, cycle or eject, which was awesome.

Understand that I do not claim to be a master pistolero and I understand that "accuracy" varies from person to person and is prone to shooter error, I'm just relaying my experience and impressions. That being said, I have taken a legitimate 8 hour pistol course and train on a weekly basis with the same instructors. So, take my results with a grain of salt but know that I can hit the broad side of a barn on a good day, if the wind is right and the sun isn't in my eyes.

I'm interested to see the performance of the red dot loads at 50 feet and how lighter charged blue dot loads would do. I will be working up more loads to take with me to the range on Friday.

I hope this was helpful and informative for someone and I appreciate feedback. Thanks.

Page generated in 0.03225 seconds with 8 queries