View Single Post
Old March 14, 2013, 04:51 PM   #8
ZRTaylor

Buzzcock: True, the weapon does have a hammer block. I'm just paranoid I suppose. I've looked in to NRA courses and there is an instructor about 30 minutes from where I live. I'll be looking in to that pronto.

Venom: That's pretty impressive, I'm sure she had a blast. I've been keeping my ranges modest for precisely that reason. I still need to build confidence in the accuracy of this weapon, given that I put it back together with Loc-tite and JB Weld.

Dale: That sounds like a good idea. I know of at least one shooting club in about 45 minutes away. I'll go hunting for somewhere closer after I take some classes and get my basics squared off.

Dwight: That sounds like a lot of fun. I'll have to find myself a tape measure and mark that out. Thanks. I used to live in Ohio myself, sorry to hear your winter is overstaying its welcome. Out here in Idaho the weather can't make up its mind either. One day it's spring and the next we have a fresh blanket of snow over everything. I feel your pain.

ramius: That's a very good point. I think you might be right, sticking to one hand, especially with a limited ammo supply, might be the best way to go. I'm paranoid about bad habits, and I'll definitely go get some professional training ASAP accordingly.

dyl: I'm not sure where I'm going to go with shooting yet, but I try to keep everything open as much as possible. For instance, one thing I like about this particular revolver is the heavier trigger pull. It doesn't have the length of a double action but it gets me used to working a little harder for the shot while keeping aim steady. The first steps class looks interesting, though I'm not sure whether I should take that or jump to the pistol basics instead. Training is good, but a little expensive, and if I get it I need to get it soon before my work schedule starts to interfere.

----------

Thanks for all the advice.

As for class choices, should I go after the NRA S.T.E.P.S. course, or the Basic Pistol Shooting course? I already regularly clean my firearm, and have an idea of what to put in to it, do I still stand to benefit from the more elementary course or should I jump to the shooting course?

Page generated in 0.03616 seconds with 8 queries