View Single Post
Old December 20, 2009, 04:30 AM   #65
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Is that anything different than what I pointed out? That should be exactly what I pointed out. But, hey, give Brickeye the gold star. No biggy.
I said that you were both saying the same thing. What I didn't understand was why you seemed to be saying it as if you disagreed with him.
Quote:
If you want to see "where I was going", please look at my post #58. That was all.
Ok, I get it.

In post #58 you expressed Momentum in terms of lbs and time. The confusion arose because at first glance it's easy to confuse lbs with mass which made it look like you were saying Momentum was mass x time.

Normally Momentum is expressed in terms of mass and velocity which would put time in the denominator--> mass x distance / time.

Anyway, you're both right. Time can be in either the numerator or the denominator depending on what units you choose to express momentum.

Force x time = momentum = mass x distance / time

Of course, if you break it down to the base units and simplify then time ends up in the denominator because the time in the numerator cancels with one of the times in the denominator in the F x t expression since F = mass x distance / (time x time).

Page generated in 0.02222 seconds with 8 queries