View Single Post
Old February 17, 2013, 02:31 PM   #46
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch308
...It is very true that a gun will probably last for generations with very little maintainence but the damage from the neglect will still be there. It may or may not affect the operation or value but will still be present.
The damage from the neglect will still be there? A serious question for you: what damage is prevented by frequent cleaning? Please be specific. You may be right, but it's going to take more than "saying so" to convince some of us.

Please note, too, that I don't advocate NOT CLEANING; in fact, I'd clean my weapons more often if I was convinced that it was really necessary. But my experience after lot of years of shooting has caused me to lean in the other direction.

I know the military advocates very rigorous cleaning practices. I'm a vet from the Vietnam era -- I know the drill. I learned a lot of things when I was in the military. I learned, too, that the military's approach to teaching most basic things is to DUMB IT DOWN.
That's because the people who do the teaching aren't always the brightest bulbs in the pack, and the audience itself can range from near-idiots to geniuses. Course content for such "basic" training has to be simple, direct, and to the point -- so that almost anybody can teach it and anybody can learn it.
Will the military way work for you? Sure. Is it the best way? Hard to say. But I'm pretty sure that just because the military taught something very basic to a large number of personnel in a certain way doesn't mean that THAT particular way was is best way it can be done...

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 17, 2013 at 02:59 PM.

Page generated in 0.03023 seconds with 8 queries