View Single Post
Old November 1, 2010, 11:11 AM   #17
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT TL
I am an optimist and disagree a bit. I believe that criminals are criminals for all kinds of reasons. For example they might lack an ethical moral center or be raised in a culture that mandates violence and criminal activity for success. Strangely what has been shown is that all kinds of people without a strong moral center are willing to commit a crime for a small reward if they think that they can get away with it, so many are criminals of opportunity.

What I have noticed is that criminal activity is less in areas where people have better education and opportunities, this is indisputable. It seems to follow that there are at least some environmental causes. Feel free to disagree, it does not hurt my feelings any.
I agree with you on the bolded points, but take a look at gangs like MS13. They are transforming from the "typical street gang" to organized crime. Their recruitment is very strong and is spreading across the US. They recruit in schools and colleges and are really developing an organized structure. Like I said, you can nust your hump to make an honest living, but those with poor moral character prefer the "faster and easier" approach... Kust take it from someone else!

As for my apparant blood lust, I may have come off as too harsh. You can't "educate" your way out of a gang encounter. Most of these guys have no respect for their own lives and they certainly have much less respect for you life. In the article, a fellow gang member was shot just for showing compassion for one of their own gang members! If you were able to poll gang members, I'm sure most of them have little to no fear of arrest. Many of them would be somewhat safe in prison due to protection from other gang members already locked up. I'm sure most of them don't even fear for their own life.

I certainly hope your way works, but just in case, I'll keep my guns on the ready.

Page generated in 0.03439 seconds with 8 queries