View Single Post
Old January 15, 2000, 11:32 AM   #7
Adam

A lot of cops these days are training in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. The ground fighting is great. It also teaches a lot of stand-up real life situations, like when someone bear hugs you, puts you in a full nelson, puts you in a stand-up headlock, etc. I had a wrestling background before I got into it, and have now been doing it for about 7 years. For unarmed, CQC you cannot beat grappling. I also train in some boxing, because I believe hands are better than feet. That old adage, KISS (keep it simple stupid) is really true. Brazilian jiu-jitsu, at its higher levels, does get very intricate and complex. But it is a system you can apply immediately. The moves are practical, simple and easy to do. It's not like karate, where it takes you 10 or 15 years to be able to do a back spinning kick with precision and speed. Just be sure that any jiu-jitsu teacher you train under puts just as much emphasis on street fighting as he does on sport (torunament) jiu-jitsu. The cops are also training in Krav Maga (Israeli), from what I hear. It is also practical and straight forward. The Krav Maga people are incorporating Brazilian jiu-jitsu into their regimen. Almost every no holds barred fighter is currently training in Brazilian jiu-jitsu to learn ground fighting. Obviously, the best thing to do is avoid a confrontation if possible. But if it happens, and you are unarmed, you can't beat grappling. I read an article a while back regarding studies done by the cops. It indicated that, in a violent situation, the guy who is trained only in striking usually forgets his fighting system and the fight degenerates into a sloppy streetfight of wild swings, clinching, etc. The same study inducated that the guy who is trained in grappling usually maintains his poise and sticks to his training. Grappling is a more basic instinst than punching/kicking, thus it is easier to do in a real life situation. Obviously, a good handgun always comes first in some situations. And if a guys pulls a knife on you, and you are unarmed, run like hell.

Page generated in 0.02792 seconds with 8 queries