View Single Post
Old September 5, 2008, 05:30 AM   #17
darkgael

lead

Every time the issue about using lead bullets in Glocks comes up, I look for some consistent trend of information. I never find it.
I don't know what the "truth" of the matter is but I'd sure like to.
There was a reprint in Dillon's Blue Press some time ago of part of the book "The Glock in Competition" which had some pretty good info about the issue. Here's a link to that article:
http://www.dillonprecision.com/docs/...ompetition.pdf

Internet results are back and forth, as are personal experiences.
I found this today:
"The manufacturer Glock advises against using lead bullets (meaning bullets not covered by a copper jacket) in their polygonally rifled barrels, which has led to a widespread belief that polygonal rifling is not compatible with lead bullets. Noted firearms expert and barrel maker, the late Gale McMillan, has also commented that lead bullets and polygonal rifling are not a good mix. However, since neither H&K nor Kahr recommend against lead bullets in their polygonal rifled barrels, it is probable that there is an additional factor involved in Glock's warning. One explanation is that Glock barrels have a fairly sharp transition between the chamber and the rifling, and this area is prone to lead buildup if lead bullets are used. This buildup may result in failures to fully return to battery, allowing the gun to fire with the case not fully supported by the chamber, leading to a potentially dangerous case failure. The other explanation is that Glock's barrels may be more prone than normal to leading, which is the buildup of lead in the bore that happens in nearly all firearms firing high velocity lead bullets. This lead buildup must be cleaned out regularly, or the barrel can become constricted and result in higher than normal pressures."
Balanced but nothing new.
Pete

Page generated in 0.02052 seconds with 8 queries