View Single Post
Old April 10, 2013, 02:07 PM   #7
F. Guffey

Neck tension, I can not measure neck tension, I can measure bullet hold, I am the fan of bullet hold, I want all the bullet hold I can get, there is no such thing as too much bullet hold, there is no such thing as too much crimp.
Back to tension, I understand interference fit, I understand crush fit, but neck tension?

If firing a 6 time fired case is the same as firing a new case, who wants new cases? If sizing a 6 time fired cases is the same as sizing a one time fired case who wants to pay the extra money for new cases?

And again, the part that makes no sense, fire to form, then necks size after the next 5 firings ‘THEN!! start over by full length sizing the case to minimum length, again, and again I ask, How is that possible? The case has been fired 6 times and that is the reason neck tension does not make sense to me. My cases increase in resistance to being restored back to minimum length/full length sized.

But, there are reloaders that fire cases 45 times, after firing 45 times the cases handle like a doll buggy, the cases do not travel, the brass does not flow, the cases do not require trimming etc., and they do not weight the case before the start at the #1 firing and after firing the case 45 times they still do not know the weight, If I put that much effort is a case I am going to save a case from the same lot for comparison.

Again, I was at the Dallas Market Hall gun show when a proud owner if a rifle built by a friend accused him of building a rifle with head space problems, and I said nothing. It was recommended the proud owner bring the rifle in to be checked, THEN! the proud owner walked down the isle and I ask, “would you allow me to examine the case?”. After examining the case I ask if that was the only case he had and was he reloading/firing it over and over and over etc.. The man that built the rifle ask to see the case again, he then realized the case would just support itself when stood on the table.

Then came time for a second unbiased opinion from the man of few words, the proud owner agreed. He was sent half way across the building, with the instructions he was not to say anything about who built the rifle or what I said about having one case, to have the case checked out, the second opinion smith took the case apart and measured the case body thickness, .0025 thick, he then asked the owner if that was the only case he had and was he reloading and firing it over and over and over etc.. The proud owner was not happy, he was proud of that case and in his effort he stepped into it, he never showed up to have the rifle checked out. I did offer to form 200 cases for him for free but by that time he was still complaining about the case being ripped apart. In closing he did say he was told .0025 was a good thickness for paper, but by the time a case gets that thin it is time to start over on ‘A NEW CASE’.

F. Guffye

Page generated in 0.02860 seconds with 8 queries