View Single Post
Old April 3, 2013, 10:56 AM   #17
Scorch

Quote:
Scorch anyway you can send me in the right direction for said barell? Reputable quality barells?
McGowen barrels. Best value in a premium barrel that I know of.
Quote:
I have a sporterized 8mm Mauser, and I also have a Green Mountain barrel chambered .220 swift, threaded for a Remington 700. How close are the threads between the two? Could I have the Barrel re-threaded to fit the Mauser?
You will need to have the barrel rethreaded. If you have a good machinist, you won't have to lose any length, either. Rem700 threads are 1.061"-16 tpi IIRC, Mauser threads are .990"- 12 tpi IIRC, so you could just recut the shank and rethread, then headspace it. You will have to cut the chamber a little deeper because you will lose about 5/32" at the rear of the barrel due to the bolt head recess on the Rem700. Anyway, very doable.
Quote:
Does the Mauser have an interrupted thread?
Very, very few factory commercial Mauser 98s have interrupted threads. Probably no military 98s. Europeans have always liked switch-barrel guns, but they are not terribly fond of interrupted threads for some reason. I have seen two commercial Mausers with interrupted threads, but I am unsure whether these were done in the USA or made abroad and then imported. Griffin & Howe used to convert many rifles to takedown by making them into interrupted thread switch-barrels. The European switch-barrel Mauser 98s I have seen used a dovetailed affair to hold the barrels, and may not have held up to extensive firing.

Last edited by Scorch; April 3, 2013 at 11:04 AM.

Page generated in 0.02233 seconds with 8 queries