View Single Post
Old March 28, 2010, 09:12 PM   #43
TXGunNut

I tried some factory loads recently for my .30-06 to humor myself before sending a rifle back to WW. They didn't believe the rifle had a problem because all I'd shot through it were my pet loads.
So I bought some good stuff and some garden variety stuff. Shot a five round group with each of four types of ammo. Yep, you guessed it, I spent over $100 to satisfy my curiousity. Only one would come close to my factory loads. One round from a manufacturer I often recommend even had a primer FTF! Very disappointing! I've decided that the rumors are true. Accuracy standards for ammo companies and rifle manufacturers are probably in the 3-4MOA neighborhood because most hunters are not capable of doing any better. Quite frankly most hunters may brag about longer shots but a 3-4MOA group is adequate for shots on large game inside 100yds, where most successful hunting shots actually take place. If expensive ammo gives a hunter confidence and his rifle is reasonably well sighted in then we have a good chance for a favorable outcome.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.

Page generated in 0.02250 seconds with 8 queries