View Single Post
Old November 19, 2012, 06:15 AM   #9
jmr40

Quote:
do what I was always taught to do with my 700 growing up and a habit that has carried over to all of my other bolt actions. you carry with the bolt hand up as to fully disengage the firing pin. it will be impossible to fire negligently but it will not solve the underlying problem and can be potentially deadly if you ever lend it to someone that is accustomed to relying on manual safeties on their rifles.
The only problem with this is that if you have one of the "problem" guns it will fire as soon as you close the bolt. The problem is not a defective safety. Remingtons safety works as good as any, the problem is a poorly designed trigger that in very rare cases allows the gun to do this.

I have an older 1974 gun that has done exactly the same. Mine was unloaded at the time as well. The problem was addressed in 2007 with a new trigger design. If it were mine I'd just take it to a smith and have an aftermarket trigger installed. Sending it back to Remington will get you another Remington trigger. I would feel much better with aftermarket.

Page generated in 0.03112 seconds with 8 queries