View Single Post
Old July 11, 2000, 11:23 PM   #2
Rocky Road
Retired Screen Name

jt--
You don't say what bullet you're loading with his powder charge.

Speer Manual #12 shows up to 5.3 Universal with 115 jacketed bullets, for 1172 fps. And 5.0 as max with 124 gr. jacketed, for 1089 fps.

If you're loading either weight, you're fine going to 5.0. If you're loading 147 gr projectiles, you're already a bit warm.

Wait a sec! I just found my Hodgdon Basic Reloaders Manual 2000 and it shows the 5.0 gr Universal for 1149 data for the 115 gr. Speer Gold Dot HP.

They show this as maximum, and that it develops 31,200 C.U.P., the highest of any 9 mm load they list, with any weight bullet. My Speer manual shows 35,000 as industry max pressure. I have no means of measuring pressure, and even if I did, probably wouldn't publish it here.

jt--I strongly suggest you stick with published data. Remember--when you get up to the upper levels, you get only very small gains for MUCH higher pressure. Yeah, I've heard there's a certain "fudge factor" in most or all of the manuals. Trouble is, I don't know which ones, or how large is the factor.

Not to mention, when you up the pressures of autopistol loads, you may well get outside the "timing" and lock/unlock cycle and do substantial damage to your pistol.

And--Are you really going to have THAT much more fun, getting possibly another 30 to 60 fps by going above spec?

Man, I hate to sound like an old fogey, a wet blanket, etc., but I feel better for passing along these little cautions.

Best regards,
RR

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---

Page generated in 0.02379 seconds with 8 queries