View Single Post
Old July 8, 2013, 11:25 PM   #111
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...my 5 year old forgetting the rules and playing with my highly tactical C&L carry piece sitting on the table.
I HIGHLY recommend against relying on an empty chamber as a child safety device. Completely unloading the firearm and locking up the ammunition is one thing. It's a mistake to assume that a child won't be able to figure out how to chamber a round. Kids are surprisingly ingenious. I remember someone telling/writing that their kid figured out how to brace the rear sight against a table edge and then leaned into the gun to operate the slide.
Quote:
Two more good reasons to use the Israeli method.
As pointed out numerous times, chambering a round is problematic if you have only one hand available for the job.

Second, in the data I recorded from "1000 round reliability matches" it was apparent that a semi-automatic handgun is significantly more likely to misfeed when a round is being manually chambered than when it is being fired.

In other words, leaving the chamber unloaded not only makes it slower and more difficult to bring the gun into action when required, it also makes it very difficult to bring it into action while holding a light, fending off an attacker or with a wounded hand--anytime the person has only one hand available. Finally, even under the best of circumstances it requires a relatively malfunction-prone operation to be performed under emergency conditions.
Quote:
So if their is a N/D no one should get hurt.
If you've ever had a gun discharged nearby while you're not wearing hearing protection--especially indoors--you won't ever make a statement like that again. Not only does it hurt, I can tell you from experience, it can impair you for life.
Quote:
...and do what you should do every time you lift a firearm and check its unloaded then it shouldn't happen.
If people do what they should do every time they handle firearms then no "and" is necessary.

You don't have to "do what you should do" AND leave the chamber empty--you just have to "do what you should do" period.

If a chambered round in a home-defense gun is considered an unacceptable risk from the standpoint of NDs, I suggest that the gun be fully loaded and then locked in a secure but rapidly accessible safe. This eliminates the need for chambering a round in an emergency, a relatively error-prone process, and incurs little or no time penalty compared to retrieving a chamber empty gun and then having to load it before engaging.

Finally, if the goal is eliminating NDs then increasing firearm manipulation with ammuniton involved is counter-productive. In other words, pick a condition, chamber loaded or chamber empty and stick with it. Constantly loading and unloading the gun is going to increase the chances of an ND not reduce them.

Page generated in 0.03549 seconds with 8 queries