Thread: Grizzly Bears
View Single Post
Old July 26, 2011, 12:23 AM   #9
stevelyn

Quote:
Whats a good rifle caliber to take one down? I was just wondering since there was another member posting about grizzlies. Whats the biggest weight and size can they usually get to?
I got mine out here on the AKPEN with a .30-06. But I'm actually having a 9.3x62 built for future use.

One of the guys I work with has a .35 Whelen and we've DLP'd 4 with it since last year and all of them went down like they were driven into the dirt.

Size depends on where you go. A big interior grizzly would be about the size of a medium coastal bear which is in the neighborhood of 600-800 lbs.

Their demeanors are different too. Coastal bears are more scavenger like being pretty well fed on fish with a deer here and there thrown in in places like Kodiak, PWS and SE AK.

Interior, inland and Brooks Range grizzlies are more predatory since there isn't much in the way of big salmon runs further inland with easy fishing like the coastal areas. They have to fight and scrap for every morsel they get and are about half hungry and ****** off most of the time.

Average starting prices for hunts out of the Cold Bay area start at about $15,000-$18,000 and go up from there.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.

Page generated in 0.03649 seconds with 8 queries