View Single Post
Old January 7, 2011, 09:00 PM   #26
LinuxHack3r

Quote:
I have the same reservations about the knife sharpener. Just because they are made by a knife manufacturer they have an age restriction. Hell, you could just as easily bend down and sharpen the knife on their polished concrete floor. Just don't try to buy the floor unless you are of age.

The reason they haven't asked for an ID at time of purchase of ammo is because we are prompted for the age. It is our determination as to whether we push the <yes> or <no> button. If there were any doubt you would be asked for ID. It's kinda our call on whether you look old enough or not. If we err, we can be written up or even fired.
I understand the theories, but I was just pointing out how (keep in mind I was only roughly 6 months older the ammo time) that I was carded and denied the sale of a knife sharpener, even though I had the Buck 110 in my pocket that my Father had bought for me probably 10 years ago, however 6 months later (now 18 instead of 17) attempted to purchase .22r and was not even asked my age.

However, let it be known that every other time Walmart employees have properly ID'd me when I have been purchasing ammo.

My favorites are the local shops (I can think of 2 or more) that have a bunch of random tidbits (such as the local "surplus" store) that require you to be 21 to purchase ANY ammo. Such as 12g hunting slugs. This is obviously not a federal requirement, is not a state requirement in TN, but just pretty much either the stores not knowing the law and not caring enough to find out, or are scared out of their wit by ATF and probably shouldn't even be dealing in a few bucks in ammo sales a month anyways.

I also like how a lot of the online retailers require you to be 21 to purchase even rifle ammunition, I even called one of them and talked to a nice young lady. I asked her how old I had to be to purchase a specific rifle caliber, and while she had to check on it, confirmed that I had to be 21. I asked her why this was so, since it was legal in TN and isn't a federal requirement, and she said it was pretty much their policy. Go figure. Outside of hoodlem's that look shady, I've never not once seen an ammo sale even thought about at a gun show.

Page generated in 0.03980 seconds with 8 queries