View Single Post
Old October 2, 2000, 07:38 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I got into a discussion with John Satterwhite at the Steel Challenge in 1982 about an "all-around" shotgun.

His ideas: An 870, modified to shoot like a Model 12. Extended mag, for seven rounds (as I recall). Barrel cut back to just in front of the mag, however long that is. 20"? 22"? Vented rib. Williams folding rifle sight, dovetailed into the barrel, and a half-size front bead. Screw-in chokes. Last thing was a double row of what looked like 1/16" holes each side of the rib, just back of the choke--maybe eight holes per row.

His comment was that it worked as a slug gun and a home defense gun; with a plug in it for two rounds in the magazine, the balance was like a 28" upland-bird gun.

Anybody who can get on the US Olympic Skeet Team, or who can hit seven hand-thrown claybirds with a pump, has my attention...

From what I've read, there is little velocity loss to worry about, with the short guns. The utility of barrel length beyond 20" is in the balance and control of the swing. Let's guess you'd lose five yards of effective range. So?

SFAIK, there is not a reason in the world not to hunt whatever you want with your particular gun. Choke selection is about the only important consideration.

FWIW, Art

Page generated in 0.03603 seconds with 8 queries