View Single Post
Old January 25, 2010, 06:12 PM   #3
BigJimP

You can start shooting Trap with a pump gun ... It isn't probably the optimum gun, if you were to get real serious about it, and get into competition but ....doesn't mean it won't be fine.

You don't need a Trap specific gun -- to shoot Trap. If the guns fits you / so it hits where you look ...its fine. Most traditional guns with angled combs are referred to as "field combs" ...and while a lot of Trap shooters want a gun that shoots "high" in terms of 70% / 30% so they can float the bird over the barrel / if you have a gun that is 50% / 50% you just have to cover the bird and kill it vs floating it over the barrels.

The pump gun I like the best is the Browning BPS Hunter model / they also make a Trap model. But the Hunter model is selling for around $ 500 - $600 and its a good long term gun. I would go with a 28" barrel on a pump gun.

I will also tell you my own Trap gun / is a Browning XT Trap, Citori O/U 32" barrels at around 10lbs... I prefer it over any single barrel Trap gun / like a BT-99 ....and with an O/U you can use the same gun for Trap Singles, Continental where you get 2 shells to kill one bird, or for Doubles. But the XT is retailing new in the $ 2,800 range ....but its a very good gun ..if you want to go that way.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...13&type_id=057

But I shot a lot of Trap when I was first learning / and budget was tight .... the Browning BPS was / and still is a very good gun. I still have the BPS's I bought in the late 70's ....

Last edited by BigJimP; January 25, 2010 at 06:23 PM.

Page generated in 0.02529 seconds with 8 queries