View Single Post
Old September 17, 2013, 03:04 PM   #3

www.ramshot.com Silhouette is what I use for my +P self defense handloads. Accuracy is very good and I get very low standard deviation numbers to reinforce that. Silhouette is treated and has very low flash. When it comes to selecting a powder for +P loads in 9 x 19mm, I consider what IPSC shooters use to make 9mm Major handloads. Silhouette is one of the most popular and True Blue also sees it fair share of use. HS-6 is still one of the most popular but is prone to flash greater which doesn't matter in comp shooting. Defense loads are a different matter. 3N37 is also an excellent powder and I've been using it since Vihta Vuori powders first became available in the US. Not so much today because 3N37 and Silhouette are so similar in what they'll do performance wise that there's no need to spend more for 3N37.

You're not gonna find much as far as 9mm +P data. One thing I highly recommend is that you know how to determine the proper OACL for the bullet you're using with the pistol it's to be fired from. Typically, I load 124 gr. JHPs to 1.142"/29mm and always for my defense loads that primarily use the Rem. 124 gr. JHP, not the Golden Saber, but you MUST determine that your OACLs are not too long for the pistol's throat and 1.142"/29mm will be in pistols like the CZs and XD/XDm. You simply can't approach this by loading in accordance to most load data where OACLs can be short. It's not a matter of just increasing the powder charge over the listed Max Charge and only the most powder stable powders should be used. If it ain't being used by the 9mm Major guys, there's usually a good reason for that and while 9mm Major loads are well above +P, the powder's pressure stability is a proven commodity and a better choice for your +P loads. You don't even want to look at powders like Unique or faster burners. I do not use flake powders for several reasons. Chief among them is very bright muzzle blast with high pressure loads, then there's the question of pressure stability. As far as metering, Silhouette is finer grained than HP-38 or HS-6. True Blue is finer and denser still, but for my own 124 gr. +P Handloads in 9 x 19mm, Silhouette is as good as it gets.

Last edited by 57K; September 17, 2013 at 03:11 PM.

Page generated in 0.03231 seconds with 8 queries