Thread: Taper Crimp
View Single Post
Old April 13, 2000, 08:01 PM   #4
Bud Helms

WESHOOT2,

I've read the neck tension statement before. I need to understand what it means. Do you think the brass too "springy" for a taper crimp to establish neck tension?

Also, I need to understand something else. Why do you say that an auto cartridge's headspace is "based" on extractor tension holding the cartridge against the breech face. Headspace is a dimension, staying with auto pistols, measured from the breech face to the case mouth "step" in the barrel, with the breech in battery. Isn't it?

I mean if your extractor broke, you could still safely fire a round in a properly headspaced chamber, couldn't you? You wouldn't be able to extract a case, but headspace would still be within specs. What has the extractor got to do with headspace?

Hypothetical question using a .45 ACP: If your case rim is .049, the extractor hook contact face is .056 off the breech face, the case is .898 long (head-to-mouth), and the in-battery chamber length is .902, then even if the case is fully forward in the chamber, the extractor won't be back against the rim.

Page generated in 0.02630 seconds with 8 queries