View Single Post
Old June 19, 2001, 12:01 PM   #3
Long Path

Heed the man's words.

You show good instincts by reconsidering, and doing your research. While you're at it, back off five grains, and put together 25 rounds in groups of 5 that increase in 0.5g increments. That way you can get a better feel for what your rifle likes.

I've a friend who found that his .257 Rbts shoots just DANDY at 20% under max. He loaded up about 100 rds of it, and never considered another load. Smart guy. Preserves the bore, gave good groups, and less smack (it was a featherweight rifle) to his wife and daughter, who hunted with it. Sure, he could've tried (quite unsuccessfully) to load his .257 Rbts up to act like a .25-'06, but WHY? He had a nice load that was more efficient with his powder. Interesting note-- when my wife went to hunt deer for the first time, it was with one of my buddy's reduced-load .257s that she used. (one shot at 95 yds seemed to do the job just fine, BTW).

Even with robust magnum rifles like my Sendero .300 Win Mag, I start off low and work up. What if I were to miss a superb load by going straight to "Max"? With modern centerfire rifles, getting that extra 100 fps isn't nearly as important as getting that extra .5 MOA, IMHO.

Good luck!

--L.P.

Page generated in 0.02442 seconds with 8 queries