View Single Post
Old October 21, 2013, 12:36 PM   #23
Sevens

We have a HUGE local gun store here in the town I live in.
(yes, not everyone has that, I know)

They bid on large government contracts for LE turn-in guns, including police departments at all levels, dept of corrections, etc etc.
(yes, not every big or small store near you has that, I know)

They get large loads of terrific former issued and duty/service firearms, including handguns, and most often, it's K-frame Smith & Wesson revolvers.

A recent large load came from the DOC and they were heavy barreled, four-inch Model 10-10's. Early to mid 1990's production. Most wearing Uncle Mikes rubber grips over a round butt frame. Most have some solid finish wear including extra stampings (in some cases...CARVINGS, poorly done) of departmental or armory numbers, excess filth, very minor surface issues and basically, just what you'd expect from revolvers that were issued, carried daily, banged in to door frames and filing cabinets, often tossed in to gun lockers, and rarely cleaned and likely, even less rarely fired or used.

When they arrive, they get advertised and the store (actually, two stores -- one in town, one just east of town) put maybe 10 or 15 of them in a glass display case, but there are literally dozens more in a crate in the back that replenish the ones in the case. Depending on how much time you have and how busy the store is, you can fish out one after another and "interview" each one to decide on the one or two you wish to buy.

Mine was $250 plus tax & 4473. After they had them for 2-3 months and still had a few left to sell, they dropped the price to $229 (IIRC).

Later, they offered some Model 64's (similar to Model 10, but stainless) and then had some Model 65's. (similar to Model 19/66, but stainless with fixed sights) IIRC, the 65's were priced at $400 and the 64's were $279.

These guns are out there and they have also affected the used market. A guy with a very nice, very clean commercial Model 10, 64 or 65 finds himself with very little interest when selling at the "proper" (former!) market price for a clean K-frame in this area, because so many former issued duty/service revolvers have hit this market.

Page generated in 0.02841 seconds with 8 queries