Thread: 45 Long Colt
View Single Post
Old April 14, 2013, 04:49 PM   #21
larryf1952

Quote:
I looked for a 4" Model 25 Smith & Wesson for well over a decade before I finally found one. Could have had any number of 6.5" barreled ones, but I wanted the 4".
That 4" 25-5 is the gun that got me into .45 Colt. I picked one up in well worn condition from an estate sale back in about 1993. After sending it back to S&W for a rebuild and refinish, it came back just like new. It was a beautiful gun!

However, I was disappointed with its accuracy, as I later learned that there were some apparent throat/chamber diameter issues with those guns. Also, being a reloader, I like to run things a bit stout much of the time, and I was concerned about the long term condition of the 25-5, especially since I had just spent a significant sum of money to have the gun refurbished.

After a year or so, and not without some serious wincing and gnashing of teeth, I sold the 4" 25-5 and bought a pair of 5 1/2" Blackhawks, one in blue, and one in stainless. I still have those guns, and they have satisfied my lust for higher powered loads for the .45 Colt.

I would echo the need to reload for this caliber. Factory ammo is prohibitively expensive, and only through reloading can the real fun with the .45 Colt be found.

Page generated in 0.03463 seconds with 8 queries