View Single Post
Old November 23, 2002, 10:05 PM   #9
Gewehr98

Hell, what's next, deer hunting with 7.62 NATO black-tip AP?

There's plenty of cheap steel-core stuff out there, just waiting for deer and elk season!

I took the bolt out of my friend's 6.5mm-06, and kept it from him for several months. He'd gone to Texas with the rifle, and a couple boxes of 120gr Sierra MatchKing handloads. His first deer was a frontal quartering shot. The bullet went in, and came somewhere out the back. Not much of a blood trail, the 3200fps round just zipped through. They tracked until sundown, and tried again in the morning. They never did find the deer. I came so close to throwing that rifle's bolt in the Sacramento River...

Target loads are for just that - targets. SMK's got the nod for military sniper use, the Judge Advocate's Group deemed them suitable under the rules of the Hague Convention. They made it, even with that little hollowpoint, because they're not designed to expand on impact. So now that they're suitable for eliminating enemy combatants, they're the cat's meow for putting venison on the table?

What's the point? Was it an in-your-face "What If" moment, proving that it could be done? I know poachers use rimfires to take their deer quietly, too. Can't wait for that test to come up here at TFL.

I fired an aluminum arrow out of a .410 shotgun a few times. Guess I'll have to post about how effective those would be on deer, seeing that it was never the intended purpose of either the arrow or the shotgun. But it could be done, damn the gamesmanship...

Neural Misfires

Page generated in 0.05853 seconds with 8 queries