View Single Post
Old November 4, 2012, 11:01 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Something is odd with that data..

Hodgdon's website lists 47.0gr 4320 as max load under a 130gr bullet and it's listed in CUP, which usually means that it's not really "recent" data. Anything they've tested recently is listed in PSI.

If I plug the info into QuickLoad, it thinks that both of those loads are FAR from max pressure. It's so much higher that I triple checked the settings to make sure I wasn't putting in the wrong powder or something.

According to QuickLoad, 48.5gr would be close to a STARTING load, with both Hodgdon/IMRs Hornady SP bullet and the Norma bullet listed by the OP and if I put in 47.0gr Hodgdon max, the predicted velocity is only off Hodgdon's speed by 34fps. The predicted pressure of a 47.0gr load is only 50,313psi, max is 65,000.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; November 4, 2012 at 11:07 PM.

Page generated in 0.03905 seconds with 8 queries