View Single Post
Old December 31, 2013, 11:22 AM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

Back in the late 60s my father got two Government Models, one stock .38 Super, and a bit later the other a .45acp, which had been fitted with target sights, and a really sweet trigger.

In the early 70s, I got to play with the .38 Super, Dad kept the .45 for his own use, most of the time.

The ONLY ammo available for the .38 Super was the factory 130gr FMJ, and we didn't have much of that. But I did save the brass. And learning to handload, and having this brass...well.....

What I didn't have was .38Super dies. had a shellholder, and some 9mm 115grJHP bullets (Hornady, I think...) and these .357 dies, so...I wonder....

Ok, it worked. left a really sharp looking edge in the .38 Super brass right at the solid head, and probably didn't do case life any good, but it did work, FED and FIRED fine. And was as accurate as the gun with factory stuff, which was the best I could manage in those days anyway.

I never once thought about putting .38 Super in Dad's model 28 (which, had it chambered, would have worked, I found out later), but since I was loading and shooting .357 & .38 SPL, using .38 Super in the revolver just never occurred to me.

I suppose its a "emergency use only" advantage of the Super over the 9mm Luger, if you have a .357 revolver. Personally I'd be more than a bit leery of shooting in a .38 revolver, but the only reason to do so is (see above) emergency use only, and in that case, as long as it fires and can be expected to hit the target, nothing else matters as much.

Seeing someone do it on a range, for mere practice? Foolish is the kindest term for them I would use....

Page generated in 0.03789 seconds with 8 queries