View Single Post
Old November 22, 2009, 08:57 AM   #2
Uncle Buck

Asking Local Landowners for Permission

I am assuming you mean asking them for permission to hunt. As a local land owner, if you come up and asked me to hunt, I will usually say no.
I do not know you. I have holes in my barns because of hunters who have trespassed. I have had gates left open and livestock get out. Where are the hunters who left the gates open? Do they help round up the cows? Catch the donkeys when they get out?
There are a few exceptions to this rule. If you are in the military, I will probably let you hunt, but I want you to see me before you begin hunting and I want you to let me know when you leave.
I have had some military folks offer to help me around the farm in exchange for hunting. Never had a local person.

You have a better chance of hunting on my land if you look presentable when you show up at my door.
Do not show up with your britches hanging off your butt and dressed like 50 cents. Show some respect and be polite. Don't be eyeballing my nieces. Don't answer your cell phone while talking to me. I am not your 'dawg' nor your 'homey.' Don't park on my grass. (If you can't park in the driveway and walk to my house, how the heck do I think you are going to be able to walk into the woods.

If I catch you trespassing, and you have any type of game, I am calling the police AND the game warden (conservation officer).

I know this sounds harsh, but I am tired of people who think they have the right to hunt my property, but do not have to respect it. I pay the taxes on it and I decide who will hunt on it. I am tired of having to repair holes in my barns and repair fences. I do not like getting a call from my neighbors telling me my cattle are grazing their front lawns. I do not like finding the bag you carried your lunch in and all the candy wrappers blowing around.

If you want to hunt, do not show up the day before hunting season and ask.

Page generated in 0.02303 seconds with 8 queries