View Single Post
Old February 22, 2010, 08:52 PM   #9
longranger

Labrador Retreiver,do yourself a favor and look at the A.K.C standard for your chosen breed,Labs in particular, as many breeders think a Lab is supposed to be a 90-100lb block head.You are supposed to be able to lift the dog out of the water after a retreive and put him/her in the boat.You ain't doing that with a dog over 80lbs(still to big)Labs have loose skin for a reason, thats your hand hold to get him/her in the boat. The standard as I recall is for Bitches 55-65lbs,Dogs 60-75 lbs.Look at the parents, if they are big labs, keep looking.There are good reputable breeders who know and understand this.
There are many wonderful lesser known breeds that meet your requirements,My favorite German Wire Hair, the'll do it all with grace and beauty(sorta) Tend to like the lesser known dogs as there is less chaf to sift through.
Look at the the French Brittany instead of the American Spaniel a.k.a Brittany best dog I've ever had.Beautiful colors excellant dispositions, as hunters as good a nose as any, will do waterfowl.

Last edited by longranger; February 22, 2010 at 09:07 PM.

Page generated in 0.02252 seconds with 8 queries