View Single Post
Old February 14, 1999, 07:00 PM   #7
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Jim,

To answer your first question,a large number of folks shoot the .38/.357. Typically,these are loaded down to well below the 1,000 fps ceiling set by SASS,for the simple fact of reduced recoil. In fact,most shooters that load their own ammo load it light,and factory "cowboy" loads are just downloaded factory ammo using the prerequsite lead bullets. A lot of folks choose the .38/.357 due to the lower cost of factory ammo. Factory loads for .44/40 and .45 Colt can really drive up your costs. I personally shoot .45 Colt and handload my own ammo. No one I know loads to the 1,000fps point,simply because that means more recoil. It's very rare that you'll see a pistol or rifle target that is a knockdown,though almost all shotgun targets are knockdowns or resetting poppers.

Stainless steel guns are legit. You'll see many stainless Rugers and some stainless Rossi 92 rifles.

The Freedom Arms guns are quality pistols. Either type of sights are legal,but you'll be in the Modern catagory if you use adjustable sights,and in the Traditional catagory with fixed sights.

Gunleather needs to be Old West style,or B-movie buscadero.

I see that you state that your primary interest is handgun events. Main match stages in CAS typically require two pistols,a rifle and a shotgun,in differing combinations. Each gun type is defined in the SASS rulebook. Some matches may have side stages,such as pocket pistol/derringer,long range rifle, and speed shotgun.

Bellicose Bill

Page generated in 0.03360 seconds with 8 queries