View Single Post
Old March 19, 2005, 05:29 PM   #18
Powderman

You're welcome.

I believe that the state of mind/being that you talk about comes about due to a number of factors:

1. Those of us (probably, 99.9% of those who post here) have thought about all the facets surrounding a self defense shooting.

2. Some of us have actually been trained to work through our own doubts and to get the job done when it needs to be done.

3. When and if the time arises, we react according to not only our conditioning, but according to our mental preparedness as well. We immediately rise to the occasion.

4. Now--and this is the important part, IMHO--after the fact, we hit the "society shoals". What is this? Simply put:

We have been conditioned by our environment, and by society, to believe that if we do NOT feel guilt, sorrow, depression, and extreme remorse for having to hurt someone else that there is something really wrong with us.

When you think about survival--the basic instinct of ANY animal, even us--the opposite is true.

We see in the animal kingdom that after a test of arms, the victor frequently stands over the body of his former foe. And it is former, because seldom do both animals survive a fight to the death. For example, an equine will, when attacked by a cougar, use every means at their disposal to KILL their attacker. It is a no brainer; they are behind the power curve at the onset--they have been ambushed--there is no time to think or to rationalize. The attacker has no use for, and will not listen to pleas or supplications. That cougar only wants one thing--to rip the life from the horse or donkey, quickly, and to eat the victim.

Thus, the equine's teeth, hooves and muscles come into play. If the cougar fails, and is overcome by the equine, it will be flung about, bitten, stamped repeatedly and reduced to a sack of organic jello.

The horse feels no regret. Why should we?

Society has dictated that we should feel remorse and sorrow, when we should be able to literally dance in the streets--because we have survived a vital test; we have vanquished a foe who was intent on killing us--and we have WON!

The current pablum that we are fed--the legal disclaimers that we must use: "I shot to stop", "I discharged my firearm until the threat ceased" serves to further mentally emasculate us. And, the sad fact that we must actually worry about litigation for defending our lives and the lives of others only serves to further confuse the mental state of the good guy.

Bottom line, my friend--you have seen the elephant, and have survived the moment. You have joined the ranks of those who have seen the beast--and where the beast blinked, thought twice and went to find another victim.

I hope that this is as far as you have to go--but if you must, if the situation arises where you have to pull the trigger, I am sure that you will be victorious. You will survive, and yes, even flourish. Good luck and God speed.

Page generated in 0.03166 seconds with 8 queries