View Single Post
Old June 15, 2013, 04:53 AM   #2
Mike / Tx

Your shorter barrel shouldn't be much of an issue to load for. It will probably not shoot the exact same load you use in the other rifle, to the same POA, or possibly not even group as well, but it can use the same powders and bullets very effectively.

I have a Win 70 in .243 that has a 20" barrel on it. I agree the shortness is handy, but it's still long compared to my Ruger Compact .308 at 16.5". I have found only a 250-300fps difference with the Ruger using factory 150gr loads, so your not going to loose much velocity.

With my Winchester, I found most medium burn rate powders work the best overall. My best loads have come using H-4350 under the 95 and 100gr Nosler bullets. The load for the 95gr BT will usually group under 1/2" at 100yds easily if I do my part, and stick within 3/4" at 200. THe 100gr loads are using the now discontinued 100gr Solid Base and will keep to around the same but slightly bigger at 3/4 at 100 and around an inch at 200. Either of them will easily drop a deer or yote.

I would suggest you use what powders you normally use in your other one first, just to see how it is going to pan out. You wouldn't use up a lot of complonents working through a quick ladder test. At least you could work up from start loads to find what your max might be too. I really like to stick to the heavier bullets with the slower powders in mine. Mostly we hunt deer and hog, and the heavier weight helps out. I also use the slower powders simply to try and keep the throats in decent shape longer.

Page generated in 0.02324 seconds with 8 queries