View Single Post
Old March 17, 2008, 06:47 PM   #7
Double Naught Spy

Right, I don't want to be a clone of the instructor, but to have an instructor work with my skills and abilities, not to remodel me into something I am not.

Patience. Students don't always get the drill the first time or two and certainly not at the end of the day when the student is most tired. Instructors don't always seem to understand this. Just because they talked and fired 30 rounds over the course of the day and is still full of energy doesn't mean a student who has been in the class all day and fired 300 rounds isn't tired, potentially frustrated, and/or overloaded.

The ability to admit when the drill isn't working and revamp it on the fly.

...an instructor who doesn't start off his own introduction talking about his own ego and the fact that gun instructors have big egos. I have gotten this from Clint Smith, Ken Hackathorn, Tom Givens, and Dane Burns, to name a few. I personally could not care one iota what the instructor thinks of his own ego. I want to learn more about shooting.

...an instructor who treats the students with respect as clients, not a boots in boot camp.

Since I am paying big $ for a class, I expect the instructor to start on time, every time (each session, each day).

I like to see the instructors demo the same drills they expect us to do and to do them from the same distances. Many demo pistols from just feet from the target and then have students do the same drills from many times that distance and then note how the students aren't attaining the same results as the demo. Ken Hackathorn was really good about demoing the drills from teh same distance as the students were supposed to shoot them. When we moved back to 50 yards, he showed us what to do at 50 yards.

I like gun stories as much as the next guy, but I don't want to trade range time for story time when range time is very finite. Save the stories for lunch, breaks, or going out after class.

Racist and sexist remarks have no place in class.

Instructors should not be hitting on students.

Instructors should not tell students their gear isn't up to standard if said gear wasn't disallowed from the class. It is stupid to be told to bring a rifle with a sling and then be told half way through the first day that your sling is the wrong type (then you find out the instructor sells slings...). If I need a 2 point sling for class, 3 point, or 1 one, then that should be in the requirements of the course. If I need the instructor's sling for the class, that should be in the requirements.

Page generated in 0.02469 seconds with 8 queries