View Single Post
Old July 21, 2006, 09:44 AM   #18
TooTall

Several years ago, I broke 2 fingers on my right hand. Since I am a "rightie", that took me out of the "field" and put on desk duties, as a LEO. Due to the injury, I wasn't "required" to carry a firearm while on-duty, but I felt that it was still a necessity.

I could probably write a book on the subject of off-hand shooting, for I experimented with countless ways of drawing, cross-drawing, shooting position, "canting" the firearm, etc. In a nut shell, however, here are my views from having gone through a LOT of work:

Shooting with the weak- or off-hand should be the "mirror image" of how you normally shoot, with only a few differences. The draw with your off- hand will feel strange for awhile, but once you get in enough practise, it will almost seem "normal". Aiming? Well, in my opinion, having BOTH eyes open during off-hand shooting worked the best. Again, it took some practise to get used to doing effectively, but it eventually paid off.

"Canting" the firearm? NEVER! All that is necessary to do is to use the "basics", of locking the elbow and wrist out straight, and using your arm as a "pointer" that you are extending toward the intended target. By "canting" the handgun, I often had "flyers", usually to the far left and high. By trying to counter those "flyers" by canting the handgun in the opposite direction, I seemed to have VERY LITTLE control over the impact point! It seemed that body positioning and holding the handgun straight/level was the most satisfactory.

I went to the trouble of buying an IWB holster that was made for "lefty" draw, with the butt of the handgun facing to the rear, but I also tried the "righty" IWB holster with a (literally) twist.
Drawing from the "righty" holster with my left hand, I would twist my hand to grip and draw the handgun, then re-trace that twisting motion all the way through to the "presentation" point. It didn't take long to determine that this drawing technique looked quite awkward, but it sure worked!

When my injuries healed, I was so used to the off-hand carry that I didn't go back to what was "normal". Instead, I added another practise session for the off-hand "twist" draw with a transition to the right hand for shooting. At any point during the draw, but BEFORE the actual transition of the weapon to the right hand, I'm able to shoot. Add to that, the left-to-right hand transition takes only slightly longer than a right-handed draw and presentation....and I've beaten most of the pure "righties" to the presentation point!

What it boils down to is.....Practise, Practise, Practise! Before I broke my fingers, I was NOT very ambidextrous, and I still can't throw a baseball as a lefty without looking like a "girly man"! But, shooting is NOT baseball!

Page generated in 0.02383 seconds with 8 queries