View Single Post
Old January 31, 2014, 07:39 PM   #14
tahunua001

well I tackled the many aspects of hunting for my term paper in my research writing class last semester.
just some of the advantages that I ran across in my research.
1. hunted meat is better for you. one of the fastest growing fads these days is eating "organic' food. animal welfarists are opting to eat meat that comes from animals that don't come from industrialized meat farms and have minimal exposure to fattening diets and pharmaceuticals. wild animals are just the next step up on the healthy meter. they naturally regulate their body weight and eating so that they don't have the disproportionately high fat content that your average domesticated animal meat contains.

2. animals have the natural instinct to avoid predators. at some point or another, every animal will encounter a predator, it is almost an inevitable end for wild animals to be eaten by another animal. they are born with instincts that help them to evade game. hunting rather than domesticating is a more humane alternative for food consumption because the animal is able to draw on it's instincts to escape than than being forced to live a life of captivity and then taken to a place where the inevitable result is death.

3. for the people that don't eat what they kill, they still maintain the populations. mankind is a horrible group of meddlers and usually when we meddle we muck things up bad. we kill off plants that we think are weeds or we kill off predators because they are harmful to livestock and other species are unable to cope so their populations begin to explode when the natural balance is upset. so now mankind has to regulate populations by becoming the predators whether we want the meat or not. states regulate by limiting tags, too much predation will increase limits on tags, not enough and restrictions will be lifted. whether you eat the meat or not you are still contributing to help manage that wildlife population.

4. whether you harvest an animal or not, you still affect the environment in different ways. a blind hunter will generally affect a smaller area but generally hurt soil by hard packing the same small areas and trails, but do serve to increase plant life diversity in that smaller area by spreading seeds that attache to their boots and clothing. roaming hunters affect a much broader area and have the opposite effect, they help the soil by pressing decaying plant life into the soil for decomposition but the seeds are generally broadcast too far away to help the species spread for more than a single generation.

I won't bore you with the entire 12 page paper and all of my sources but that's some of the points I found most interesting and more relevant to your post.

Page generated in 0.05003 seconds with 8 queries