View Single Post
Old December 23, 2013, 10:30 AM   #58
CTS

I didn't say it was hard to find a stainless barrel in 1:9 twist. It is harder to find a 20" stainless barrel in the faster twist rates since most people who are going for a 20" and stainless are usually looking for a varmint rifle and planning to shoot 35 to 40gr projectiles. If you noticed, that is why I asked him what bullet weight he was planning to shoot. You cannot really make a blanket statement like 1:9 shoots more accurately than 1:7. There are too many variables between projectiles and even different barrels of the same twist and rifling type. You can take two barrels from the same manufacturer with identical specs and one may shoot 55gr projectiles better while the other may prefer 62. It's all a game of try and see what works best. It is, as I said, dependent on bullet weight though to determine what is generally the best twist rate. Faster twist rates stabilize heavier bullets generally speaking. It would be hard to advise someone of what twist rate they should consider if you don't know what distances they plan to shoot and if they plan to punch paper or varmint hunt and that sort of thing. If longer distance shooting is what you are after then i would go with the 1:7 and use the heaviest target style projectiles that will fit your magazine. You will however pay a price for a 1:7 twist stainless barrel in 20" that is of any account.

Page generated in 0.03453 seconds with 8 queries