View Single Post
Old April 20, 2013, 10:50 PM   #7
Rkerry

Thanks for all the replies. Responding to a few of them...

G.Willikers: The bullets I loaded are Berry's FMJ flat-point 155-grain, .401" diameter. The factory bullets that did not exhibit the problem were PPU 180-grain round-nose JHP. COL for my loaded cartridges was 1.250" compared to 1.255" for the PPU. I have no pictures because I only loaded 50 rounds in this batch and fired them all...so I'm back to empty brass at this point.

Sure Shot: I used Hornady custom-grade 3-piece die set, and the combo seat/crimp die was used to seat the bullet and (hopefully) remove the case flare. Your comment seems like it my be going in the right direction. Do you have a preferred method to remove flare more accurately than the combo seat/crimp die? I could imagine a cartridge dragging the one beneath it forward a bit if the flare wasn't fully compressed.

WESHOOT2: Federal once-fired range brass, primed with Federal Large Pistol primers, charged with 8.2 grains of Alliant Unique (based on a recipe from the Hornady manual). Shooting skill level? Not sure where to go with that question. I don't compete, but I visit a range once or twice per week and probably fire 1,000 rounds per month, of which maybe 1/2 are my handloads. As mentioned in the original post, I've been loading revolver cartridges for a while now but have only recently begun loading 10mm, and that is the only cartridge I have loaded for semi-auto actions.

A trusted employee at the range recommended I try seating the bullets a little deeper, but he admitted that his recommendation was more of an experiment than a sure fix. I probably couldn't go more than .020" farther before I'm into the ogive more than I should be. Any thoughts on that suggestion? If I go that route, I'll probably experiment by reducing COL by 5 thousands at a time and just loading five or six cartridges at each sample depth...but I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts before I start experimenting blindly.

I appreciate any suggestions you all can provide and am excited to improve my 10mm results.

Page generated in 0.03327 seconds with 8 queries