View Single Post
Old October 24, 2001, 08:17 PM   #6
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Here, in South Carolina, using standard factory loads, the Core-Lokt's have a very good reputation. But......... Our deer are small, ranges are short and the .30-30/.270/.30-06/.243 are the most popular calibers.

The value that a premium bullet adds is on the long shots, shots at bigger game and shots on animals ia awkward positions.

If you get serious about shooting across bean fields (here), the accuracy and easy opening of some of the premium bullets really matters. Kenny Jarrett and the rest of those guys really like the ballistic tips (et al) for their down range performance and accuracy.

I have had the disgusting experiance of "standard" bullets lacking penetration and riveting in big game. As Long Path pointed out, 5K for a hunt, 10 bucks for ammo. When your talking elk, mulies, etc., split for the extra $$. I have 80 rounds of Federal Premium Trophy Bonded for the '06 salted away in case I get a chance for mulies or as a back up for elk.

The awkward shots is a reflection of reality on a paid for hunt. Several guys I know in Colorado think the .30-06 is plenty of rifle for elk. They also have no problem passing up animals if the set-up is off. They will be back tomorrow or the next week-end. For a paying hunter who has (or wants) to take a less than optimum shot (becouse he flys out two days from now), the use of a premium bullet may make the tough shot a bit eaiser due to better penetration (toughness) or accuracy (longer range). I would also strongly suggest that this is a great case for more practice and a suitable rifle/caliber/scope combo.

Hope this sheds a bit of light on the premium ammo versus "non"- premium ammo.

I have used and recommended Core-Lokt ammo and the Hornady Inter-lock for several years. Just use it at the ranges it was meant for and practice, practice, practice.......

Giz

Page generated in 0.04110 seconds with 8 queries