View Single Post
Old August 6, 2008, 10:14 PM   #23
mykeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL-Flinter
C'mon man, you must be shooting cheap production made flinters to have all those problems! Try shooting one I built sometime, by the time your optical nerve registers the pan flash, the ball is already out of the bore. Everytime I've been at ML shoots, I see the percussion guys spending more time poking at their nipple holes and snapping caps than shooting - the most reliable percussion gun is an underhammer, almost no problems with u/h's compared to sidelocks, especially the snail-breech sidelocks.

Yes, a flintlock must be set-up correctly and that should be done when it is built and never requires adjustment unless something breaks. Try shooting a quality hand-built flinter with a tuned lock & trigger, a single point cut rifled bore and good sights and you'll find your percussion guns becoming "safe queens" rather quickly.
You completely missed the point of the post and the OP's request.

I regularly shoot high quality flintlocks and I have owned inexpensive, entry level flintlocks. Yes, there is a world of difference. There's also a world of difference in price. The man wants to get into the sport, not invest his next month's mortgage payment on something he may not want to do.

My intent was to point out that, for a person new to bp with less than unlimited funds the better approach would be to start with a percussion gun, not a flintlock. At the OP's request I provided a list of the issues that would be faced by a new shooter with an entry level flintlock.

My guns do not have the problems I wrote about. I built them and I tuned them. I know what it takes. And I know that the entry level guns are likely to exhibit any and perhaps even all of the problems I mentioned. A new shooter should not have to deal with those in addition to learning the basics of the sport. Don't you agree?

Page generated in 0.03616 seconds with 8 queries