View Single Post
Old April 16, 2013, 04:34 AM   #19
newfrontier45

`Tis not a fair comparison. Revolvers should be compared to other revolvers, not fixed barrel autos. Any good revolver, rimfire or centerfire, will be able to shoot into 1" to 1½" at 25yds with preferred loads. A good fixed barrel auto (not centerfire service autos) like the Ruger MK-series or Browning Buckmark will easily halve that. Some even better. Something like a S&W 41 will shoot even better. A factory revolver, be it a nice K-22, Colt Officer's or the lowly Single Six simply cannot compete. The latter being lower on the totem pole because Ruger simply does not build them to be match accurate. You have to spend a lot of money to get a revolver to shoot like a good auto, meaning a half inch or better at 25yds. By a lot I mean a Freedom Arms or custom Ruger with a linebored cylinder and match barrel. We're talking about spending $2000 or more for a revolver to shoot as well as a $300 auto. As personal preference, I greatly prefer revolvers but the facts are what they are.

For those that dog the single action for locktime, bear in mind that the most accurate revolvers in the world are single actions.

Also bear in mind that none of this applies when we turn to centerfire service autos.

Quote:
Is there any noticeable difference in the convertible SS model compared to the dedicated one cylinder model?
Not since 1968, when Ruger started using the same barrels for all the .22's, convertible or not. Personally, I think too much is made of this compromise bore issue. I believe that the way Ruger builds the cylinders has a much greater impact on velocity than the tiny difference in bore size. They make all their parts in batches and cut (or used to cut) all six chambers at once. Cylinders are just grabbed out of a bin and the keep trying until one fits. Very little hand-fitting going on. This is not conducive to a match accurate revolver like the S&W's and Colt's of old.

Quote:
I strongly suspect does not put the care into them that has to go into a target pistol.
Ruger doesn't put any more or less care into either one. A fixed barrel auto is simply easier to build accurately at an affordable price than a revolver.

Page generated in 0.02493 seconds with 8 queries