View Single Post
Old March 24, 2012, 08:38 AM   #7
Misssissippi Dave

This is not an easy question to answer unless you put in the proper information.

1. The cost of good quality factory ammo in your area for each caliber.

2. The cost of components needed to load those calibers.

3. The number of rounds you would fire of each caliber if you could get cheaper ammo (think reloading).

4. The savings per hundred or thousand rounds.

5. The cost of equipment to load divided by the average savings of the rounds you will be loading should give you an idea.

Remember the cost of ammo seems to always go up rather then down. Once you purchase components and equipment the cost is then fixed until you add more components or add equipment. You will basically be locking in your price to produce ammo at the price you paid for components even if it takes you a couple of years to load it all up. It is hard to do that with factory ammo if you are only buying a box at a time. Sure you can buy cases of ammo to use over the next few years. What will be the price of that?

I look at reloading as a hobby all on its own. If I can save some money, with one hobby to support another hobby, that is a good thing. Another hobby I have is shooting. These two hobbies just go together. I have components on hand at present to load quite a bit of ammo. I can make changes to suit my needs. It is like being able to take back a box of ammo X to the store and exchange it for ammo Y when ever needed and no questions asked. I don't know many places that would consider doing that for me.

Also, once I have spent the money on something it is gone. I'm not in business to make a profit on hobbies. As far as buying components goes I buy them either when needed or when I find a good sale going on. I might find a deal that is hard to pass up on something I already have and get it for later use. I don't think you can have too many bullets, primers or powder available for later use.

Just because you reload you really don't save any money. You will be just shooting more then you did before. Thankfully I like shooting.

Page generated in 0.03402 seconds with 8 queries