View Single Post
Old May 6, 2013, 03:39 PM   #1
DarthNul

Sig P6 firing pin with flat tip

I picked up a surplus Sig P6. The DA trigger pull with the stock 28# (police) hammer spring (milspec is 24#) was really nasty so I got a Wolff hammer spring tuning set with 16,17,18,and 19# springs.

At 16 and 17# I got lots of light strikes. Sometimes they'd go on the second try and sometimes not. So now I'm at 19 and still getting a few no-go strikes. Looking at the primers that fired, I noticed the strikes were not very deep. No surprise there. I also noticed that the dimples left by the firing pin were much wider than what I've seen from any other gun.

I took a close look at the tip of the firing pin and it is pretty much flat: no rounding or tapering at all. The tip is smooth so I doubt any bits broke off. No sign of any mushrooming that might indicate it flattened out from use, or from being too soft. The gun appeared to have very little use overall when I got it.

So I plan to put a slight taper on the pin and round off the tip, making it more like the firing pins on my other Sigs. I'm thinking this will cure the problem by generating smaller but deeper primer strikes.

Anything else I need to consider here? Would the firing pin need to be hardened after this bit of filing?

Page generated in 0.02134 seconds with 8 queries