View Single Post
Old February 12, 2012, 12:06 AM   #5
Lost Sheep

Thanks for asking our advice.

I used a RockChucker for years. Great press. Loaded .357 Mag, 9mm, 45 ACP, 44 Mag. More than enough leverage for those rounds and MUCH larger. I will never give mine up. It is rigid to a fault.

A year ago I got a Lee Classic Turret. It can be used in every respect as if it is a single stage. It can also process in continuous mode, which, when you are ready to load in that manner, you will find to be nearly four times as fast and four times as convenient as batch processing (to which single stage presses are limited).

Now, a Dillon (or any progressive) will be able to outrun the Lee Classic Turret, but the Turret, in the middle speed ranges is the best there is and caliber swaps are dead simple (not so much with progressives).

I am fond of the Lee Classic Turret because I never got used to monitoring multiple simultaneous operations as is required on a progressive. One cartridge at a time, progressing for start to finish in continuous mode fits my style.

Kempf's gun shop sells one (with dies, primer feed and powder measure) for $210. All you lack is a scale to be reloading for 9mm caliber in fine style. For your 7.62x54R Mosin, just add another set of dies and a few bottleneck-required accessories and you will still be under $250-300 complete.

That will still keep you under what a rockchucker would cost you.

Having said all that, if you know your will want a Dillon eventually, you might want to pass on the Lee Classic Turret and just get the Lee Classic Cast single stage for now. Not quite as strong as the RockChucker or Hornady, it will get you started just as well-equipped as the RC (unless you plan on loading 458 Winchester so some such).

Good luck

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.02951 seconds with 8 queries