View Single Post
Old September 2, 2001, 11:44 PM   #32
jimpeel

The news on FOX stated that the authorities state that Beck started the fire. Coincidentally, a couple of tear gas cannisters were thrown into that upper bedroom window several minutes before "Beck started the fire".

As for those who question the fire department, I watched this thing from the outset (see prior post) and shortly after the fire started the ladder unit on the left not the one behind the wall to the right (observations from the rear of the house) was able to direct a stream (estimated at 600-1000 GPM) directly into the window of that bedroom. That much water bouncing around a room would have put out, or suppressed, the fire in that room.

As I watched this unfold, the ladder truck on the left turned the unmanned water cannon at the top of that ladder onto the house on the left and that is where it remained for the duration of the fire.

It is not the duty, nor the purvue, of the police to send firemen into harm's way. Nor is it the duty, nor the purvue, of the fire department to allow property to be destroyed, and human beings killed, at the behest of the police. From the time of the Baca tearful news conference to the first flicker of flame could not have been 15 minutes. I think the Sean Connery philosophy went out to the troops at that time and this guy was toast (pun not intended).

By the way. I have dealt with LASOs when I was in L.A. and they are not the best bunch of guys on the planet. I had a friend who became an LASO and he quit because the cowboys made it impossible to work there. He said that no matter how nice you tried to be the prisoners would treat you like s--- a lot of which was based on the behavior of other officers. He said that it is too easy to become desensitized to other humans and that most of the LASOs suffered from that trait.

The bad thing is that the SOs are stationed at the county jail directly after graduation from the academy. This placed them in close quatrters with the drags of the Earth for 1/3 of their life. They become very disillusioned very quickly. That is what happened to my friend.

The LAPD officers, on the other hand, don't have this forced interaction with the scum. they go to the streets where they have a chance to interact with real people as well as the scum. Hence, they do not get as jaded as quickly as the SOs do.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey

Page generated in 0.02730 seconds with 8 queries