View Single Post
Old February 6, 2011, 04:00 PM   #1
mcwop

Stoeger Double Defense Review - and possible double fire ?

Recently someone attempted to break into my house while I was home. Researched shotguns and decided to go with the Stoeger Double Defense. Reasons why I chose it are:
  • Like the short length
  • SxS is really simple to use, and I just feel comfortable with the SxS as a novice
  • Can mount a flashlight and/or pistol grip (no need for the top rail IMO)
  • I like the "tactical" finish because it provides a nice grip - simply flat paint on wood
  • Easy to disassemble
  • Reasonable price
  • Green fiber optic sight made it easy to aim in low light
  • Each barrel features eight ports to reduce muzzle rise, making that second shot extremely rapid - this proved out in shooting it.

So I took it to the range with friends, and this is the first shotgun I have fired. Studied up on stance etc... beforehand.

I found the gun very easy to load, disengage the safety, then fire each chamber using 9 pellet, 2 3/4 00 buck shot at a silhouette target . The gun feels on the heavier side, but this seemed to make the gun jump less - felt well balanced. At 25 feet very easy to hit the target at center. Went as far as 60 feet, and hit the target consistently with 4-5 of the 9 pellets.

I do not have a lot to compare it to being new to this, but overall this gun was very manageable for me, and a friends 16 year old daughter.

Now, there was one issue, and I have found some evidence of it around the net with the single trigger Stoegers. We think we had a double barrel fire with one pull of the trigger, which I understand should NOT happen. That happened once, and we went through a total of 50 rounds. I guess I will contact Stoeger this week and have them advise on the double fire. I will post back here once I find out more. EDIT - It is possible that this was a double trigger pull too - I was not the one firing so tough to say.

Last edited by mcwop; February 6, 2011 at 05:44 PM.

Page generated in 0.02786 seconds with 8 queries