View Single Post
Old May 29, 2013, 10:29 AM   #27
myfriendis410

Good advice to find a pro shop that specializes in archery. The better archery tackle is only available through pro shops. Something about how the industry is set up. As a general rule; the more money you spend on your bow will translate into a quieter, faster, more comfortable tool than a cheap one.

Also; a modern compound shoots a LOT harder than a stick and string bow. They are also much easier to shoot accurately with practice. You definitely want lots of kinetic energy when shooting hogs. I use modern expandable broadheads (Rage) and have not lost a hog with them. I DID lose several hogs using fixed blade broadheads. The fighting plate on a big boar will indeed stop an arrow so accuracy and good arrow placement are critical. Still hunting from the ground is an excellent technique and most of the time an arrow shot hog is gonna go the other way.

I shoot a PSE and would recommend one. Look at Hoyt and Matthews as well as many others. There's a tremendous assortment out there and it's best to try a variety to find what works for you best. One of the problems with a newbie bow shooter is they really don't even know the questions to ask. Many go down a bad road before gaining the experience to judge for themselves. As a case in point when I first started shooting I shot a 30" arrow, but with time and experience my arrow length had to be shortened to 28 1/2". That's just developing proper form over time. Take your time and talk to a lot of archers before spending a bunch of money.

Page generated in 0.03664 seconds with 8 queries