View Single Post
Old April 5, 2007, 09:50 AM   #11
rem33

Quote:
a through shoulder joint penetration into the vitals. The bullet must penetrate the hardest bone in shoulder and still have enough mass and velocity left to down the animal.
Your sure gonna ruin a lot of meat with a shot like that. Aim just at bit to the rear and take out his lungs or even better heart, or both.

As far as shoulder shots I have only shot one elk that way, that was with a muzzle loader where it takes a minute or so to get another shot off, and your bullet doesn't have the velocity to create the hydro shock destroying nearby tissue A 320 grain bullet under 2000 FPS will break the largest shoulder bone in a elk's shoulder and still go a inch or two. My second shot did go Thur the lungs and I was surprised at the damage it had done even at black powder speeds. From that experience I would suspect any well constructed bullet of 130 or more grains with good velocity would do what your asking. My question is why ruin several pounds of meat? If you destroy the lungs that animal isn't going to travel far. Sounds like a hunting writer's idea to me. Theses guys don't kill for meat and they like to brag how this gun/bullet or that dropped em right in his tracks, and heck with the meat.

IMHO Most of those writer guys have a guide take em out show em the animal which they then shoot and their done. The guide guts, packs, and skins the animal and the game processor cuts the meat. He then goes and writes us a article on his hunting trip or and about the such 'n' such rifle or cartridge he used. I have to admit it sounds like a nice way to make a living. Guys like Zumbo live a life many of us dream about and that just helps sell the Magazines.

Quote:
Scorch, a 6mm for Elk!
Knew of a guide here in Idaho that just used a 243, deer or elk. But then he knew where to hit a animal and when to not take a shot. A 30-30, 243, or 375 H&H will all do the trick if the bullet is put where it should be placed at a reasonable distance.

Page generated in 0.03337 seconds with 8 queries