View Single Post
Old April 21, 2001, 10:33 AM   #12
ronin308

I am a student of Iaido so I may be able to add some insight. If the swordsman is within striking distance, say less than 6 feet, the gunman will die or be maimed no matter what. Even if the swordsman is shot there is a great chance that he will still complete his stroke into his adversary. Also Mort said "Practice getting off line from an attack, either laterally or 45 degrees to the front or rear." I do not believe that there is any footwork that a gunman can do that will save his life if he is close to the swordsman. In Iaido we learn to strike opponents 360 degrees around our body. It does not matter where the gunman would move. Also as a student of aikido, the defense we learn against a sword is to actually STEP INTO an attack. This is surprisingly effective against a sword. My sensei will just step into any oncoming sword attack and throw you to the ground...its incredible. If you try to keep your distance you will get maimed, just have somebody grab something like a stick and try to stay away and you will get hit, but try stepping in the moment that the attack starts, you'll be surprised.

Page generated in 0.02889 seconds with 8 queries