View Single Post
Old July 5, 2009, 08:32 PM   #49
Cruncher Block

Home defense gun and kids -- here is how I handle it.

1. One and only one firearm is "quickly" accessible. "Quickly" for me means a pushbutton handgun safe most of the time.

This is still a lot slower than having the gun on the hip. The hip is probably the most secure place for it, too. Just food for thought.

I strongly prefer the simplex mechanical locks like Mello2u has pictured. I used to use a Gunvault but we had a power glitch during a storm and, despite using both AC and a battery backup, the combination reset. I didn't realize it until a few days later. Imagine if I'd needed the gun one of those nights

All other guns are stored in a more traditional gun safe. The key stays on one key ring that stays under my control. The other key is locked away.

2. Teach the kids. I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all approach to this. The message needs to be tailored to the kids' understanding, attitude, and maturity. I'm striving to cultivate healthy respect for firearms rather than a "forbidden fruit" mentality.

The way I see it, they're going to learn about guns -- are they going to learn from me or Hollywood?

Page generated in 0.02334 seconds with 8 queries