View Single Post
Old February 1, 2005, 06:42 AM   #13
aussie bob

G'day,

I have to disagree with the comment about the pump action. I was introduced to shooting with a .22 rifle when around 12 years of age. It was a single shot Winchestor. The logic was that I had to make the shot pay off. It was also safer if I got a little excited, which needless to say a well controlled red blooded bloke like me would never have done. (Well up until I found out about girls then I guess I became a bit more exciteable.)

I remember going shooting with a bloke in his late teens. He took with him either a semi auto shotgun or semi auto .22 rifle. It used to sound like a war zone in the area he was shooting. His use of ammo would please any ammo manufacturer but his kills were minimal.

I would suggest a .22 rifle, bolt action preferably, so the speed loading and firing is reduced. The recoil is also very slight for a new shooter. Cost is bugger all and feeding it the same. More controlled practice, normally the better the shooter.

If you still want to use a shotgun then I suggest a 16 or 20 gauge U&O. Maybe even look at a gun with both 12 and 20 gauge tube sets available. It needs to be heavy enough to reduce the felt recoil and light enough for the kid to carry in the bush.

Teach the lad to shoot and hunt and not just how to spend money on wasted shots or wounded animals.

Cheers from down under
Aussie Bob

Page generated in 0.03465 seconds with 8 queries