View Single Post
Old July 15, 2012, 08:35 AM   #1
steve4102

Range Report Lee FCD.

There has been a few threads on here lately about the use of the Lee Factory Crimp die and how it affects accuracy. I tested the LFCD for accuracy quite some time ago and in my tests accuracy was improved. I have used it ever since on all of my semi-autos.

After reading through all the comments and posts on how the LFCD degraded accuracy I started to second guess myself and my previous testing, maybe I'm not getting the improved accuracy I thought I was.

I decided it was time double check my loads and see if crimp was actually helping or hurting.

Certainly none of this is scientific and probably not be enough of a sample to declare a winner or a looser, but it's what I got.

The rifle used was my Colt HBAR, 5.56. I used new never fired Lake city brass for this test as I thought it might be more consistent than my lot of several times fired LC brass.

This first target is Sierra 53gr HP MatchKing, 25.5gr AA 2520. The heavy crimp is "heavy" it put a deep cannulure in the bullet similar to some pictures that have been posted here in the past. The Med Light crimp was visible on a bullet bullet, but barely.

This load is 53gr Sierra with 26gr of 748. I fired five rounds at the "crimp" target first, then five at the "No-crimp" target

Same load, this time I fired five "no-crimp" first.

Same load, again I fired "no-crimp" first

That's all I got for now, you can draw your own conclusions, or not.

Last edited by steve4102; July 16, 2012 at 04:56 PM.

Page generated in 0.02710 seconds with 8 queries